Top 5 Tips to help you reduce your fuel bill
1. Turn off your engine – Pulling over for a coffee or to use the phone, turn the engine off. Modern cars use virtually no extra fuel when they’re re-started, and a stationary vehicle with the engine on is doing 0mpg.
2. Shift to a higher gear as soon as possible and skip gears – Driving at lower engine speeds reduces fuel consumption. Change up a gear between 2000 and 2500 revolutions per minute (rpm). Skip gears if possible, 3rd to 5th, 4th to 6th etc.
3. Drive smoothly – Anticipate the road as far ahead as possible to avoid unnecessary braking and acceleration. Decelerate early when slowing down.
4. Slow down – Avoid excessive speeds when possible. Driving at 85mph uses approximately 25% more fuel than 70mph. (Energy Savings Trust 2013)
5. Check tyre pressure frequently – Under-inflated tyres are a danger to not only you and other motorists, but also increase your fuel consumption.